May 9, 2010

Mother's Day mumbo jumbo

I haven't been contributing much since starting the new job at ad firm DraftFCB. Advertising Agency of the Year thank you very much. I'd like to say I had something to do with that, but no. Readjusting to working hasn't been too trying, although dinners haven't been very elaborate around the compound lately. Occasionally I have flashes of supreme organisation and get something special prep'd before leaving the house. Fortunately with the tropical balmy weather we're still enjoying here in Beautiful Wellington the bbq grill is still getting a workout.

Maria is having a much deserved Mother's Day sleep-in, so guess I should update ch'all on the haps in the hat. I'll try to be brief, a good post's a short one.

We've brought Ira home from three days in the shop after 48 hours of inter-cranial pressure monitoring. It's confirmed that he's got raised pressure in his swede. The good news is that the problem is not internal. By that I mean it has nothing to do with flow of spinal fluid, blockages in ventricles or even amount of space (to a certain degree). Bad news is that it is respiratory. When Ira is going about his day, he doesn't breathe naturally – easily. To a lesser degree he's like a weightlifter about to squat 300lbs. He kind of holds his breath and heaves as he exerts himself. You don't think about it as he reaches over to pick up a toy, but this heaving is putting constant pressure on his brain.

So, good news is that he doesn't need a shunt which we were hoping to avoid. Bad news is that within the next three months we're going to be back in for some kind of major cranial operation again – we thought we were done with the hospital for a few years. Still, got to deal with this now, can't let the little guy wander around with a constant sneeze going on in his dome 24/7.

Edie is practicing to become a ballerina, or a hip-hopper, or a Kapa haka performer. Grandma recently taught her to write her name, she gets it right most of the time. Her favourite activity of the moment is writing cards for people. She writes them at daycare and comes home and writes more with our nanny Katalin. I come home from work each day to a beautiful signed greeting card. What a perfect end to a working day.

To wrap it up, Nero is catching beau coup mice and bringing them in as gifts or trophies – don't know which – thanks mate. Lily is currently the chopped-liver of the family. Sadly even Barry Goldfish is getting more attention than the whippet. That said, as long as she has a soft couch or bed to curl up to she's happy.

Maria is still frustrated with my ongoing fascination with the music of Ben Folds. It's my 40th soon; I think I'll enjoy a Ben Folds Five omnibus. My theory is Maria will come to like angry indie piano thrash if she's exposed to it enough. So far she's resisted. Of course I've managed my addiction to Doonesbury, so maybe Ben will just be retired from the play list soon, who knows.

Okay, this is not a brief post, I better turn off BFF before Maria wakes up and get her eggs ready.

Happy Mother's Day mums one and all.

PS: It's feijoa season, so I've been making chutney. Easy as:

1.5 kg feijoas
1 kg onions
1/2 cup crystallised ginger
2 cups sultanas
1 cup dates, chopped
2 cups brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cloves
3 teaspoons curry powder
2 tablespoons salt
750 ml malt vinegar

1. Top and tail the feijoas and slice into desired chunks. Slice onions and chop the ginger finely. Combine all ingredients in a large pan and bring to the boil uncovered, stirring occasionally. Simmer low until thick (about 5 hours), then spoon into sterilized jars. Screw lids on loosely and put in and medium oven on a roasting try for 10-15 mins. Remove from oven and tighten lids, allow to cool, jars will seal tight.

Recipe adapted from "A New Zealand Country Harvest Cookbook" by Gilian Painter.

1 comment:

  1. We need to see Edie in her dance costume! What great kids. Thanks for linking to my article too. It's obviously been a while since I've stopped by here....